If you are looking for a quick and delicious, budget friendly meal this one is perfect. I always try to add a few meals in our plan that take little to no effort to put together or cook, especially for when I have to do my injections. This one happened to fall right on injection night so it was perfect.
Crunchy tomato mozzarella bread with warm delicious fried eggs that have a different twist to them. This meal is great for cold evenings, first thing in the morning or even a quick lunch for those who are pressed for time. It is hearty and filling so even the hubs approved of the meal. Add as little or as much cheese to the bread as you desire and even use some to top off your eggs if you so choose. No matter how you do it, this meal has made its way into our “Make Again”
Turkish Fried Eggs
- A small bunch of spinach, a handful to make a bed of spinach over the onions/shallots
- 2 Shallots [ Or you can use 1/2 onion like the original recipe suggests]
- 2 eggs [ We used 4 for egg whites, 3 for whole eggs, and 4 egg yolks separate- That sounds like a lot I know but we have a son who cannot eat the yolks at all, a daughter who does not like the whites etc.]
- 4-5 tbsps. vegetable oil [ Just enough to make sure that your food does not stick to the pan works, I think we used approx. 2 tbsps. in a nonstick pan]
- Salt, nature’s seasonings [ If you cannot tell it is one of my faves to use when cooking], red pepper flakes.
- Finely chop the onion,
- Heat oil in a pan, add onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add the chopped spinach and cook for 3-4 mins in high heat.
- Add a little nature’s seasonings and stir well.
- Crack the eggs over the spinach, sprinkle over some salt, if desired [ careful they will run, and get outside your desired spinach bed area if you are using a large pan ]
- Cover the lid and cook on low heat until the egg whites are set.
- Top with red pepper flakes and some parsley and serve.
Tomato Mozzarella Bread
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (or swap ½ cup cherry tomatoes for 1 large tomato.)
- 1 ball low fat mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup Spinach
- ½ tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices wholegrain bread (or rustic farm bread)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 250
- Slice the tomatoes to about ¼ cm thick or just cut the cherry tomatoes in half and slice the cheese in thin pieces, set aside.
- Spread a little olive oil on the bread.½ tbsp. olive oil. Just enough to help moisten the dry bread and give it life with a bit of flavor.
- Place on cooking sheet.
- Layer the mozzarella and then the tomatoes on the bread.
- Chop spinach or tear it, layering it on top of the bread.
- Sprinkle shredded chees on top to hold it all together.
- Place it in oven for 10 mins or so, or until golden brown with melted cheese. Careful not to over cook your bread, you do not want it to be too hard to bite into.